Thursday 2 December
The translated version of the coronavirus review for Lapland is published weekly.
You still need to take a coronavirus test even when experiencing the mildest of symptoms, if you have the risk of being infected with a severe case of the coronavirus disease, or if you may have been exposed to the coronavirus, or you are employed in the social and health sector.
Links pertaining to the current situation:
- Lapland’s official instructions for travellers who suspect they may have caught the coronavirus
- Help for the traveller who has received a positive COVID-19 test result
- Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL): Travel and the coronavirus pandemic
- Additional guidelines, current recommendations, and restrictions for hospital districts
- Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL): Progress with COVID-19 vaccinations
Lapland Hospital District
(information as of 2 December at 11:35)
Lapland Hospital District is at the baseline phase of the epidemic, with the exception of the city of Rovaniemi, which has entered the community transmission phase on 30 November 2021.
Restrictions and recommendations set by the Emergency Management Team of the City of Rovaniemi valid through to 31 December 2021.
The incidence rate based on the last two weeks (15–28 November) is 169.4 per 100,000 inhabitants.
The incidence rate based on one week (22–28 November) is 104.4 per 100,000 inhabitants.
This incidence rate also includes cases of patients who live outside the Lapland Hospital District area. For this reason, the figure can differ from that announced by the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) that does not count those living outside of Lapland.
Most of the infections in the Lapland Hospital District are detected in the Rovaniemi region
Last week (week no. 47, 22–28 November), a total of 122 new coronavirus infections were confirmed in the Lapland Hospital District. A total of 4,200 coronavirus tests were taken in the Lapland Hospital District, with 3,263 of these being rapid antigen tests. The proportion of positive test cases in relation to the total number of tests taken was 2.90 percent.
90 cases of coronavirus infections have been confirmed this week in total. Most of these infections have been confirmed in Rovaniemi. Infections have been reported in schools in connection with school and day-care clusters of infections. In addition, cases have been identified where the source of the infection is not known. In addition to Rovaniemi, individual infections have been reported in Inari, Muonio, Sodankylä, Kittilä, and Kolari.
In Rovaniemi, in particular, there have been alarming records of cases. Last week (week no. 46, 15–21 November) 35 cases were reported in Rovaniemi, and last week (week 47) 83 cases were reported. There is therefore a large increase in the number of new cases.
At its meeting convened on Tuesday, 30 November 2021, the Emergency Management Team concluded that the City of Rovaniemi, based on the current situation, meets the criteria for the community transmission phase of the COVID-19 epidemic. The number of new infections has increased considerably since the previous week. In addition, mass exposures have appeared and the origin of all cases could not be traced. The incidence rate for the previous 14 days is 195 per 100,000 inhabitants.
These changes came into effect in the City of Rovaniemi starting on 30 November
- The Emergency Management Team decided to ban all public events and public gatherings of more than 20 persons from 30 November to 30 December 2021.
- Companies and event organisers may choose to introduce the use of th4e COVID-19 Passport, so that the restrictions do not affect the activities and events of the company.
- The Emergency Management Team recommends that remote working is applied in the Rovaniemi region from 30 November to 30 December 2021 in workplaces where such arrangements are possible.
In Rovaniemi, the face mask recommendation is still valid as before. The face mask recommendation applies to persons aged 16 years or over, including vaccinated persons. The Government will decide on possible restaurant restrictions in Rovaniemi on Thursday 2 December 2021.
Further information available from: City of Rovaniemi Press Release 30 November 2021
As a result of the emergence of the Omicron variant, people arriving from South Africa will be subject to a compulsory health check
Due to the new variant of the coronavirus, the Regional State Administrative Agency of Lapland has adopted a decision which provides for the organisation of a health check for all passengers who have been present in countries where the spread of a new variant of the Omicron coronavirus has been observed. This regulation is valid for the period 27 November – 31 December 2021. Based on this decision, the Lapland Hospital District’s Infection Control Unit has drawn up guidelines that are distributed both at external border controls and to all persons arriving from the Schengen area.
List of exposure sites for the last two weeks (updated on 2 December)
- Thursday 18 November Niemelan Auto, Rovaniemi at 9:00–10:00
- Thursday 18 November World Cup Levi at 9:00–13:00
- Thursday 18 November Lakkapää Rovaniemi at 10:00–10:30
- Thursday 18 November Shell Helmisimpukka Rovaniemi Teollisuustie at 11:00–12:00
- Thursday 18 November Onninen, Rovaniemi at 13:00–14:00
- Thursday 18 November Prisma Rovaniemi at 17:00–17:45
- Thursday 18 November Alko Rovaniemi Eteläkeskus at 17:30–17:45
- Friday 19 November Niemelan Auto, Rovaniemi at 9:00–11:00
- Friday 19 November World Cup Levi at 9:00–17:00
- Friday 19 November Onninen, Rovaniemi at 11:00–12:00
- Friday 19 November Gondoliravintola restaurant, Levi at 11:30–12:15
- Friday 19 November Pub Pisto, Rovaniemi at 11:30–13:00
- Friday 19 November Xiang Long, Rovaniemi at 12:15–13:15
- Friday 19 November Prisma, Rovaniemi at 13:00–14:00
- Friday 19 November Puuilo Rovaniemi at 15:00–15:30
- Friday 19 November Frans & Chérie restaurant, Rovaniemi at 19:00–23:00
- Friday 19 November Sale Rantavitikka, Rovaniemi at 19:15–19:30
- Friday 19 November – Saturday 20 November Roy Club, Rovaniemi at 22:30–5:00
- Friday 19 November Oliver’s Corner Irish Pub, Rovaniemi at 23:00–3:00
- Saturday 20 November Potkuri, Pohjolankatu 2 (bazaar), Rovaniemi at 11:00–13:00
- Saturday 20 November K-Supermarket Rinteenkulma, Rovaniemi at 11:45–12:05
- Saturday 20 November Filmtown Rovaniemi Sampokeskus at 12:10–12:25
- Saturday 20 November Bio Rex, Rovaniemi: lobby at 12:25–13:00 and at the showing of Around the World in 80 Days (cinema 2)
- Saturday 20 November NIS, Rovaniemi at 13:15–13:30
- Saturday 20 November Sotka, Rovaniemi at 14:30–14:45
- Saturday 20 November Grand Christmas Opening Ceremony, Santa Claus Village, Rovaniemi
- Saturday 20 November Lidl Saarenkylä, Rovaniemi at 17:30–17:45
- Saturday 20 November Bio Rex Rovaniemi: at the showing of the film 007 No time to Die (film duration approx. 2½ hours)
- Saturday 20 November – Sunday 21 November Roy Club, Rovaniemi at 22:00–5:00
- Sunday 21 November Science Centre Pilke, Rovaniemi at 11:30–13:00
- Sunday 21 November Easyfit Rovaniemi at 12:00–14:00
- Sunday 21 November Vesihiisi swimming halls, Rovaniemi at 14:00–16:00
- Sunday 21 November Lidl Teollisuusskylä, Rovaniemi at 14:50–15:15
- Sunday 21 November Pannukakkutalo, Levi, Kittilä at 15:00–16:00
- Sunday 22 November Saarenkylän Apteekki pharmacy, Rovaniemi at 19:15–19:30
- Monday 22 November Autokoulu S. Nuutinen, Rovaniemi at 9:00–10:00
- Monday 22 November Lapland Education Centre REDU, Jänkätie Unit, Rovaniemi at 10:00–13:00
- Monday 22 November Shell HelmiSimpukka Rovaniemi Teollisuustie at 11:30–11:00
- Monday 22 November SPR Kontti, Rovaniemi at 11:00–11:15
- Monday 22 November Prisma, Rovaniemi at 11:20–11:50
- Monday 22 November Easyfit Rovaniemi at 13:00–15:00
- Saturday 20 November Lidl Saarenkylä, Rovaniemi at 17:00–18:00
- Sunday 21 November Bus service Aapakkirkko – Joutikero – Aapakkirkko at 12:00–16:00
- Sunday 21 November Jouttikero Chapel singing event, Rovaniemi at 13:00–15:00
- Sunday 21 November Prisma Rovaniemi at 14:30–15:30
- Monday 22 November Tunturi- ja Näköalaravintola Tuikku restaurant, Levi, Kittilä at 12:00–12:30
- Monday 22 November Restaurant Panorama, Levi, Kittilä at 14:00–14:45
- Monday 22 November Lapland Department of Rovaniemi’s main library at 17:30–18:00
- Monday 22 November Revontulitanssijat dancers, Rovaniemi (couples salsa lesson) at 19:00–20:15
- Monday 22 November Restaurant Ämmilä, Levi, Kittilä at 19:00–20:30
- Monday 22 November – Tuesday 23 November Roy Club, Rovaniemi at 0:00–4:45
- Tuesday 23 November Lapland Education Centre REDU, Jänkätie Unit, Rovaniemi at 8:00–13:00
- Tuesday 23 November Nissen optician, Rovaniemi at 10:00–11:00
- Tuesday 23 November Tokmanni Rovaniemi Eteläkeskus at 11:45–12:15
- Tuesday 23 November SPR Kontti, Rovaniemi at 12:15–13:15
- Tuesday 23 November Restaurant Ämmilä, Levi, Kittilä at 12:00–13:00
- Tuesday 23 November Tunturi- ja Näköalaravintola Tuikku restaurant, Levi, Kittilä at 14:00–14:30
- Tuesday 23 November Prisma, Rovaniemi at 16:45–17:30
- Tuesday 23 November Levi Hotel Spa, Kittilä at 18:00–20:00
- Tuesday 23 November Pub Pisto, Rovaniemi at 18:00–21:30 (new)
- Wednesday 24 November Pub Pisto, Rovaniemi at 10:00–12:00 (new)
- Wednesday 24 November Pancho Villa restaurant, Rovaniemi at 12:00–13:00 (new)
- Wednesday 24 November Santasport Bowling Alley, Rovaniemi at 16:30–19:00 (new)
- Wednesday–Thursday 24–25 November Roy Club, Rovaniemi at 22:00–4:00 (new)
- Thursday 25 November Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, Rovaniemi: breakfast at 9:00–10:30 (new)
- Thursday 25 November Pub Pisto, Rovaniemi at 10:00–12:00 (new)
- Thursday 25 November Pannukakkutalo Levi, Kittilä at 12:00–12:40
- Thursday 25 November K-Market Lapinrinne, Rovaniemi at 13:15–13:30
- Thursday 25 November Kittilä Teboil service station at 16:00–16:30
- Thursday 25 November Rovaniemi Town Theatre at 17:30–21:00 (new)
- Thursday 25 November Saunamaailma (Arctic Sauna World), Jerisjärvi, Muonio at 18:00–20:00
- Friday 26 November Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, Rovaniemi: breakfast at 9:00–10:30 (new)
- Friday 26 November Kittilä Teboil service station at 12:30–13:15
- Friday 26 November Restaurant Ämmilä, Levi, Kittilä at 14:00–14:45
- Friday 26 November Kittilä Library at 15:00–15:30 (new)
- Friday 26 November K-Rauta hardware store, Rovaniemi at 16:00–16:20
- Friday 26 November Power Rovaniemi at 16:25–16:50
- Friday 26 November K-Supermarket Rinteenkulma, Rovaniemi at 17:55–18:10
- Friday 26 November Minimani, Rovaniemi at 18:00–19:00 (new)
- Friday 26 November K-Citymarket Rovaniemi at 19:15–20:00
- Saturday 27 November Restaurant Utsu, Levi, Kittilä at 7:30–14:00 (new)
- Saturday 27 November Sampokeskus Shopping Centre, Rovaniemi at 14:00–14:45
- Saturday 27 November Prisma Rovaniemi at 15:45–16:10
- Sunday 28 November Restaurant Utsu, Levi, Kitty at 7:30–14:00 (new)
- Monday 29 November Hai Long restaurant, Rovaniemi at 11:30–12:10
It is recommended that all visitors in those locations at the times mentioned monitor their own health and seek a COVID-19 test, even if experiencing the slightest of symptoms.
Number of positive coronavirus tests confirmed in the Lapland Hospital District by week
Week no. 46 (8–14 November): 76 cases
Week no. 47 (1–7 November): 122 cases
Week no. 48 (current week): 90 cases (as of 2 December at 11:35)
The total number of cases confirmed in the Lapland Hospital District on the basis of coronavirus tests conducted at testing stations is 1,974. This figure also includes persons living outside the area.
Infection Control Unit
Current vaccination coverage (updated on 2 December)
|For those aged 12 years or older||Lapland Hospital District||Länsi-Pohja Hospital District||Whole of Finland|
Vaccination coverage in the population for people aged 12 years or over
|Whole population||Lapland Hospital District||Länsi-Pohja Hospital District||Whole of Finland|
Vaccination coverage for the whole population
Länsi-Pohja Hospital District
(information as of 2 December at 10:21)
The coronavirus review for the Länsi-Pohja Hospital District is mainly published on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
The Länsi-Pohja Hospital District is currently in the community transmission phase of the epidemic.
The Länsi-Pohja Central Hospital has had to set up a separate intensive care unit for patients infected with the COVID-19 virus
By Wednesday, 1 December, 23 new cases of the coronavirus had been reported in the Meri-Lappi (Sea Lapland) district this week.
In total, 1,473 cases of the virus infection have been detected in the region during the pandemic. A total of 12 people have died in the region due to the coronavirus disease. Most of these fatalities were elderly senior citizens. The majority of these deaths occurred in 2020, when vaccination was not yet in place against complicated forms of the disease.
The need for intensive care in the Meri-Lappi district increased for COVID-19 patients and the Länsi-Pohja Central Hospital has had to set up a separate intensive care ward dedicated exclusively to coronavirus patients. The separate intensive care unit has been established in the operating department’s premises and requires 24-hour medical staff who are removed from other tasks.
Planned hospital cuts have to be cancelled, as only emergencies and extremely urgent surgery can be handled at the moment. The Hospital District appeals to the people of Meri-Lappi to continue to observe all COVID-19 safety measures to reduce the strain put on the hospital and alleviate the current difficult situation.
Risk of non-vaccinated persons being admitted into intensive care is 33 times that of vaccinated persons. It is strongly recommended for people to take the vaccine.
The Hospital District continues to recommend continuation of good coronavirus safety measures. There is a broad recommendation for remote working and a strong face mask recommendation in the region. Extending restrictions on gatherings is being planned and will be issued by the Pandemic Working Group on Wednesday, 8 December.
It is still recommended to download the Koronavilkku app on mobile phones. It is recommended to continue to monitor the municipalities’ vaccination pages and to book an appointment to receive the coronavirus vaccine.
Number of positive coronavirus tests confirmed in the Länsi-Pohja Hospital District by week
Week no. 46 (15–21 November): 65 cases
Week no. 47 (22–28 November): 53 cases
Week no. 48 (current week): 23 cases (as of 1 December at 8:40)
The total number of cases confirmed in the Länsi-Pohja Hospital District on the basis of coronavirus tests conducted at testing stations is 1473.
Infection Control Unit